The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), a Federal law, requires that Yale obtain your written consent before disclosing any personally identifiable information from your education records, except under certain specified circumstances. One of the exceptions to the consent requirement is appropriately designated “directory information,” which Yale is free to disclose unless you have advised otherwise in accordance with Yale procedures. Directory information is information that generally would not be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy, and Yale discloses directory information, internally and externally, for many purposes.
For example, directory information may be disclosed in student directories, commencement programs, sports publicity material, and announcements regarding honors. In addition, unless you have asked Yale not to disclose directory information, the University is required by federal law to provide some categories of directory information, upon request, to recruiters for the United States armed forces.
Yale designates the following information as directory information:
- dates of attendance;
- school or residential college affiliation;
- local and other addresses and local land line telephone number;
- e-mail address;
- date and place of birth;
- field of study
- enrollment status;
- student job assignments and locations;
- participation in University-sponsored extracurricular activities and sports;
- height and weight of members of athletic teams;
- degrees, honors, and awards received;
- previous educational institution(s) attended;
- name and address of parents or guardian;
- picture or video of the student;
- University person identifier (UPI).
If you do not want Yale to disclose this information from your education records without your prior written consent, you must file a Request to Withhold Directory Information with the registrar of your Yale school or program.
You may complete this form at any time, but if it is not received in the Registrar’s Office prior to September 15, your information may be included in any of several printed directories produced at the beginning of each academic year.